Professional Clinical Credentials

At S.A.E. Psychological Consulting Ltd. we believe in full disclosure related to our Staff and Associate Staff credentials. We have listed the meanings and descriptions of what the letters behind our names mean so that anyone exploring our qualifications is able to fully understand what our educational and association backgrounds mean. If there is ever a question related to someones training or expertise we are always willing to answer these questions. We have broken down different levels of education, registration/licensing, memberships and specialized credentials to try to ease some of the confusion for the public. Highlighted in Green are all of the credentials held by the Senior Staff at S.A.E. Psychological Consulting Ltd.

Education Degrees:

Diploma— often a 2 year College program

Bachelor’s Degree: often a 4 year program
B.A.  Bachelor of Arts
B.Sc. Bachelor of Science

Master’s Degree (Graduate degree):generally 2-3 years of schooling post-Bachelor’s Degree
M.A. Master of Arts
M.Ed. Master of Education
M.Sc. Master of Science

Doctorate Degree:additional 3-5 years of schooling post-Master’s Degree
Ph.D. Doctor of philosophy – research based;
Psy.D Doctor of psychology

Provincial or National Certifying Bodies:

In Canada, each province has its own regulatory body that oversees psychologists.  Each person wanting to become registered as a psychologist must go through the applicable registration process.  There are some provinces that require the individual to possess a Master’s degree, while others require a Doctorate level degree.  In Alberta, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and New Brunswick, a person can be registered as a psychologist with a Master’s level degree. In British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec, an individual must obtain a Doctoral level degree to become a Registered Psychologist.  Those with a Master’s level degree can become registered as a Psychological Associate.

Registered Psychologist; R.Psych.:  This is when an individual has passed all of the requirements through the registration process.  This person can work independently as a registered psychologist and reports to the provincial regulatory body. The word “Psychologist” is a protected term and is only to be used by those that are registered. If you find someone using this term that is not registered I would recommend ceasing the use of their services and exploring civil action against them.

Additional Membership Credentialing:

CRHSPP: Canadian Register of Health Services Providers in Psychology

CACCF: Canadian Addiction Counsellors Certification Federation
ICADC (International Certified Alcohol and Drug Counsellor)
ICCDP (International Certified Co-Occurring Disorders Professional)
ICCDPD (International Certified Co-Occurring Disorders Professional Diplomate)
ICCAC (International Certified Clinical Addictions Counsellor)
ICCS (International Certified Clinical Supervisor)
ICPS (International Certified Prevention Specialist)
CCS (Certified Clinical Supervisor) – Certification
CCADC (Canadian Contingent Alcohol & Drug Counsellor) – Designation
NCTAS (Nationally Certified Tobacco Addiction Specialist) – Certification
SAP (Substance Abuse Professional): This is a designation received by professionals who have studied the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations, and have passed a written exam.

Other Psychological Health Disciplines:

Clinical Social Work:  The individual possesses a Master’s level degree of Social Work, has been Registered (R.SW.) a minimum of two years, has completed 1600 hours of supervised practice (post-Master degree), and has passed an exam.  This designation would appear as M.SW., R.SW.

Registered Clinical Counsellor; RCC:  This designation is used in British Columbia.  The individual possesses a Master’s level degree in counseling, clinical or educational psychology, pastoral counselling, marital and family counselling, clinical social work, psychiatric nursing, and applied behavioral sciences from an institution acceptable to the Registration Committee.  100 hours of supervision is required by a supervisor.

Canadian Counsellors Certification; CCC: The individual possesses a Master’s level degree in Counselling or a related field and completed a supervised practicum with at least 120 hours of direct client counselling.

Registered Marriage and Family Therapist; RMFT: The individual possesses a minimum of a Master’s level degree in couple and family therapy and have completed over 1000 hours of therapy while under the supervision of an approved RMFT.

Licensed Professional Counsellor; LPC:  A U.S. designation for mental health professionals that possess a Master’s level degree in counselling or a related field.  The individual is required to be supervised and pass an examination process.